Explore the profound impact of a diamond's shape on its price in our comprehensive guide. From classic round cuts to trendy radiant & marquise cuts, discover how to make the perfect choice when selecting a diamond for your dream engagement ring or fine jewelry.
When buying a diamond, it's crucial to consider its shape as it directly influences the price. Due to market demand & higher manufacturing costs, round diamonds, the most common shape, generally command a higher price compared to fancy-shaped diamonds. This is attributed to their exceptional brilliance & popularity.
Why Are Some Diamonds More Expensive Than Others?
Round one is the most common & expensive due to the significant amount of waste produced during the cutting process & the need for more raw diamonds. Despite being more affordable, princess cut & cushion cut diamonds remain in high demand thanks to their unique faceting patterns.
On the other hand, elongated shapes like oval-cut & emerald-cut diamonds have fewer facets yet still offer excellent clarity, making them comparatively cheaper. The most economical options are pear-shaped & marquise-cut diamonds, as they are less commonly found.
However, they are still excellent choices for those who appreciate distinctive & alluring diamond shapes.
Shape Vs. Price Chart
Take a look at this comprehensive price comparison for 1-carat diamonds in various shapes. We will provide you with the price variations between lab-grown & naturally occurring diamonds, all with a VS1 clarity & G color grade.
|Diamond Shape||Lab Created Diamond Prices||Earth Created Diamond Prices|
Round diamonds are renowned for their popularity & higher cost compared to other diamond shapes. In fact, they can be approximately 65% pricier than the least expensive diamond shapes. Let's explore some of the advantages of selecting a round-cut diamond:
- Brilliance: Prepare to be dazzled by the captivating sparkle of round diamonds, as they possess an extraordinary brilliance that outshines all other diamond shapes.
- Versatility: Timeless & versatile, round diamonds effortlessly complement both classic & contemporary settings, ensuring a flawless match for any style.
- Rarity: Indulge in the luxury of round diamonds, prized for their scarcity & long-term value. Owning one is a testament to your refined taste & appreciation for the finer things in life.
- Cut quality: Experience the pinnacle of precision with round diamonds, thanks to a unique cut grading system that guarantees exceptional accuracy & consistency in cut quality.
- Best light performance: Let round diamonds illuminate your world, as they are expertly cut to reflect the maximum amount of light, resulting in an exquisite & breathtaking appearance.
- Flawless beauty: With their symmetrical design, round diamonds possess a remarkable ability to hide imperfections, making them appear flawlessly captivating to the naked eye.
If you desire a classic & versatile diamond that exudes brilliance & sparkle, round-cut diamonds should be your top consideration. Their exceptional quality & timeless appeal make them a premium choice for those seeking a truly remarkable gem.
What Is The Cheapest Diamond Shape?
The marquise cut is often the more affordable option when it comes to diamonds. These cuts, while less common than round, princess & cushion cuts, tend to come with a lower price tag. However, it's important to remember that the cost of a diamond is also influenced by factors such as carat weight, color, clarity & cut quality.
Therefore, even though pear & marquise cut diamonds may be more budget-friendly, their prices can still vary depending on these additional aspects. Nevertheless, they can be an excellent choice for those on a tight budget who still desire a unique & visually appealing diamond shape.
A Closer Look At Each Diamond Shape
- Most popular & sought-after shape.
- Expensive due to high brilliance, cut & demand.
- Require more rough diamonds & have higher wastage during cutting, making them costlier to produce.
- Similar fire & brilliance to round diamonds.
- Modern & trendy choice, more affordable than round cuts.
- The unique faceting pattern makes them appear larger, increasing their value.
Cushion Cut Diamonds:
- A classic choice with a vintage feel, popular in halo ring settings.
- Similar appearance to princess-cut diamonds, not far behind in price.
- Larger facets create a distinctive, soft glow, adding to their value.
- Always in style & favored by celebrities.
- Fewer facets, resulting in more clarity but the potential to show flaws.
- Priced lower than round & princess cuts but higher than cushion cuts.
- They are gaining popularity for their elongated shape, creating a slimming effect on fingers.
- Price comparable to emerald-cut diamonds due to the elongated diamond family.
- Dimensional & elegant, combining round & marquise shapes.
- A popular choice for engagement rings.
- Lower in price compared to oval-cut diamonds.
Marquise Cut Diamonds:
- The bold, pointed shape elongates the finger.
- Increasingly popular as a modern-day choice.
- Price similar to pear-shaped diamonds.
To Sum It Up
The shape of a diamond holds significant sway over its price. Keep this rule of thumb in mind: round diamonds tend to be pricier than other fancy-shaped ones.
However, each diamond shape comes with its own allure & drawbacks. So, take your time to find a diamond shape that captivates you, with qualities that you & your partner will truly cherish.
Curious about choosing the perfect diamond for your engagement ring or other exquisite jewelry?
Reach out to our experts at Solitaire Jewelers anytime! We're here to provide you with expert advice & a complimentary diamond consultation.